We have scoured the web. Here are some of the latest materials related to Indian Law. Find all of the latest updates at narf.org/nill/bulletins/
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Read the latest Tribal Supreme Court Project update published on 7/24/20.
Federal Courts Bulletin
- United States v. Ferguson (Major Crimes Act)
- United States v. Red Cloud (Major Crimes Act)
- Cherokee Nation v. Stitt (IGRA; Gaming Compacts)
- Peoria Tribe of Indians of Oklahoma v. Campbell (Jurisdiction)
- The Shawnee Tribe v. Mnuchin (CARES Act)
State Courts Bulletin
In the Matter of April S. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
McCormick, Inc. v. Fredericks (Jurisdiction; Breach of Contract)
U.S. Legislation - 116th Congress Bulletin
- H.R.7773 - To establish an Office of Emerging Markets within the Small Business Administration that will strengthen the development of small business concerns in emerging markets, such as those owned by women; socially and economically disadvantaged individuals, including Black Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans (Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, or enrolled members of a federally or State recognized Indian Tribe), Asian Pacific Americans, and other minorities; veterans; and those located in rural areas, and for other purposes.
- H.R.7774/S.4331 - To preserve Indian Tribes' and Native Hawaiian organizations' autonomy of access to spectrum over Tribal lands and expedite immediate deployment of telecommunications services for critical government services, including national emergencies, natural disasters, public health and biohazard threats, safety, education, opportunity to participate in the broadband economy, self-governance, access to Federal, State, and Tribal voting and elections, and the Federal census count, for the protection of life and property in furtherance of the Federal trust responsibility, and for other purposes.
- H.R.7748 - To ensure that after a declaration of a major disaster affected States, local governments, and Indian tribal governments receive immediate approval for services and assistance provided under section 416 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act.
- H.R.7801 - To direct the Secretary of Health and Human Services to award grants to State, local, and Tribal public health departments to train and equip Federal public health reserve corps personnel to assist with testing, contact tracing, and treatment of COVID-19, and for other purposes.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Repatriation of sacred Native American cultural belongings from historical racism.
- (Indigenous) language as a human right.
- In defense of culture: Protecting cultural expressions in intellectual property.
This week, in brief:
- Bipartisan letter urges passage of CSKT water compact
- Eviction notice: Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipeline must vacate Oceti Sakowin lands
- Statement from Blackfeet Nation regarding new bill to permanently protect the Badger-Two Medicine
- Nez urges lawmakers, election officials to come up with alternatives to preserve tribal members' rights to vote
- How can America get Native health right?
- Bay Mills Indian Community hosts second annual Noojimo'iwewin: A VAWA and ICWA training
- Lawsuit seeks education reform at Native American schools
- Global Initiative for Indigenous Advancement announces community sponsorship for art installation on Boston Common
- StrongHearts Native Helpline: Domestic and dating violence
- South Dakota lawmakers criticize Kristi Noem on tribal checkpoints
- Choctaw chief chosen to help design new Mississippi flag