U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Two petitions for certiorari were granted on 11/20/23 and the cases were consolidated:
- Becerra v. Northern Arapaho Tribe (Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act Contract Support Costs)
- Becerra v. San Carlos Apache Tribe (Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act Contract Support Costs)
Federal Courts Bulletin
- Peterson v. Harrah's NC Casino Company, LLC and Caesars Entertainment, Inc. (Joinder; Tribal Sovereign Immunity)
- United States v. Hemingway (Major Crimes Act; Criminal Jurisdiction)
- Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians, et al. v. Howe (Voting Rights Act; Legislative Redistricting)
- Cantrell v. Balaam (Habeas Petition; Indian Civil Rights Act)
- California Valley Miwok Tribe, et al. v. Haaland, et al. (Federal Recognition; Tribal Organization)
Tribal Courts Bulletin
- Moran v. Cheek (Eviction Order Appeal)
- Lambert v. Fort Peck Housing Authority (Laches)
- Lilley v. Fort Peck Tribes (Hearsay; Indian Civil Rights Act)
- In the Matter of M.W. (Custody Order Review)
- Hamilton v. Fort Peck Tribes (Probate Order; Validity of Will)
- Bear v. Fort Peck Tribes (Appeal of Criminal Conviction)
- Fort Peck Tribes v. Jackson (Criminal Jurisdiction; Finding of Indian Status)
- In Protection of MC (Adult Protection Order)
- The Tulalip Tribes v. Corallo (Trial Court Authority to Modify Judgment)
State Courts Bulletin
- Adoption of Ursa (and a companion case) (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- State of Oklahoma v. Crosson (Criminal Jurisdiction)
U.S. Legislation - 118th Congress Bulletin
- S.3310 - A bill to amend the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 to establish within the Mount Hood National Forest in the State of Oregon Indian Treaty Resources Emphasis Zones, and for other purposes.
- H.R.6420 - To amend the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 to establish within the Mount Hood National Forest in the State of Oregon Indian Treaty Resources Emphasis Zones, and for other purposes.
- H.R.6443 - To take certain land in the State of California into trust for the benefit of the Jamul Indian Village of California Tribe, and for other purposes.
- H.R.6489 - To amend the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act to provide that Village Corporations shall not be required to convey land in trust to the State of Alaska for the establishment of Municipal Corporations, and for other purposes.
U.S. Regulatory Bulletin
- Temporary Closure and Restriction Orders (Interior)
- Notice of Adoption of a Bureau of Indian Affairs Categorical Exclusion Under the National Environmental Policy Act (EPA)
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Improving public schools: What advocates can learn from Indian education rights.
- Indian policing: Agents of assimilation.
- Indigenous influence on the rights of nature movement.
- Intellectual property protection for genetic resources, traditional knowledge, and folklore: Will the on-going WIPO efforts result in a formal treaty?
- Legal borderlands and imperial legacies: A response to Maggie Blackhawk’s "the constitution of American colonialism".
- Locating novel protections for the tradtional knowledge of Indigenous communities in customary international law.
This week, in brief:
- Native judges belong on the federal bench
- NCAI vote to exclude state recognized nations fails
- Justices take up Native health care funding cases
- North Dakota to appeal decision that protected Tribes’ rights
- Tribe in Oklahoma sues city of Tulsa for continuing to ticket Native American drivers