The Native American Rights Fund is hiring for the open position of Staff Attorney in Washington, D.C. Learn more about the vacancy at: https://www.narf.org/contact-us/join-team/
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
- Two petitions for certiorari were denied on 1/18/22:
- White v. Oklahoma (McGirt v. Oklahoma; Criminal Jurisdiction)
- Bentley v. Oklahoma (Criminal Jurisdiction; Due Process)
Federal Courts Bulletin
- Cross v. Fox (Treaty Rights; Tribal Law; Tribal Elections)
- Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Tribe and the Center for Biological Diversity v. Department of the Interior (Cultural Resources; Sacred Sites; Geothermal Projects)
State Courts Bulletin
- Wild Fish Conservancy v. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (Aquaculture; Environmental Impact Statements)
U.S. Legislation - 117th Congress Bulletin
- H.R.6402 - To grant a Federal charter to the National American Indian Veterans, Incorporated.
- H.R.6406 - To elevate the position of Director of the Indian Health Service within the Department of Health and Human Services to Assistant Secretary for Indian Health, and for other purposes.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Coming home again: Tribal sovereignty, the Tribal Wildlife Grant Project, and their potential for endemic wildlife reintroduction.
- Sustainable red power: Tribal energy sovereignty and the way forward.
- Disproportionate police militarization at Standing Rock violated international law.
- Environmental racism in Indian Country: An analysis of its impacts on the environment and natural resources and its connection to the diminishment of tribal sovereignty.
- The Indian law bombshell: McGirt v. Oklahoma.
- Muskrat textualism.
This week, in brief:
- Tribal voices sidelined in Line 5 Tunnel permitting process
- Legislation pre-filed to establish a 'Missing in New Mexico' event
- How the Indigenous landback movement is poised to change conservation
- Tribal sovereignty ballot initiative smashes threshold
- Vicious circle: Tribal broadband program hindered by lack of broadband
- Tribal Outreach Specialist at UM creates important bridge for Native students
- How Wisconsin cheese is helping put the first Indigenous-owned distillery in the country on the map
- Documentary explores how CDOT and tribes partnered to preserve Indigenous culture and history
- International Decade of Indigenous Languages launched from Cherokee Nation Reservation