The Native American Rights Fund Boulder office is hiring for the open position of Staff Attorney. Learn more about the vacancy at: https://www.narf.org/contact-us/join-team/
Federal Courts Bulletin
- Eagle Bear, Inc. and William Brooke v. The Blackfeet Indian Nation and The Blackfeet Tribal Court (Tribal Court Jurisdiction)
State Courts Bulletin
- In the Matter of the Determination of the Rights to the Use of Surface Waters of the Yakima River Drainage Basin v. Acquavella (Water Rights)
- In the Matter of the Welfare of the Child of: L.L.H. and C.A.M., Parents. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- Acres v. Marston (Tribal Sovereign Immunity; Indian Gaming; Tribal Courts)
U.S. Legislation - 117th Congress Bulletin
- S.3242 - Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation Shab-eh-nay Band Reservation Settlement Act of 2021.
- S.3259 - A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to recognize Indian tribal governments for purposes of determining under the adoption credit whether a child has special needs.
- S.3269 - A bill to provide for the recognition of certain Alaska Native communities and the settlement of certain claims under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, and for other purposes.
- H.R.6063 - To provide for the equitable settlement of certain Indian land disputes regarding land in Illinois, and for other purposes.
This week, in brief:
- Interior secretary seeks to rid U.S. of derogatory place names, including those to Native Americans
- Broken US-Indigenous treaties: A timeline
- Utah Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women task force hears about jurisdiction issues in first meeting
- States fail to adequately address climate change: An Indigenous peoples' analysis of COP26 decisions
- Read and watch Secretary Haaland's historic remarks on the power of Indigenous representation on the 52nd anniversary of the Alcatraz Island Occupation
- Infrastructure bill amendment creates flexibility to serve urban Natives
- Native American kindergarten student punished for having long hair
- Four cultural centers that are opening up the conversation about Native American art and identity
- Native American chefs share Thanksgiving recipes