We have scoured the web. Here are some of the latest materials related to Indian Law. Find all of the latest updates at narf.org/nill/bulletins/
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
A petition for certiorari was filed in one case on 8/13/20, and denied on 8/25/20:
Mitchell v. United States (Racial Bias; Inmate on Death Row)
A petition for certiorari was filed in one case on 8/14/20:
Muckleshoot Indian Tribe v. Tulalip Tribes (Treaty Fishing Rights)
Federal Courts Bulletin
George v. Office of Navajo and Hopi Indian Relocation (Navajo-Hopi Land Settlement Act)
Goodface v. Lower Brule Sioux Tribe 2020 Election Board (Tribal Elections)
Iron Hawk v. United States (Federal Tort Claims Act)
The Shawnee Tribe v. Mnuchin (CARES Act)
State Courts Bulletin
Irv's Boomin' Fireworks, LLC v. Muhar (Jurisdiction; Public Law 280)
U.S. Legislation - 116th Congress Bulletin
- H.R.8073 - To require the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to create a standardized method for State, Tribal, and local health departments to report to the Centers with respect to COVID-19, and for other purposes.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- The Court of Indian Appeals: America's forgotten federal appellate court.
- Tribal remedies, exhaustion, and state courts.
- "Thus in the Beginning All the World Was America": The effects of anti-protest legislation and an American conquest culture in Native sacred sites cases.
- Welcome to the maze: Race, justice, and jurisdiction in McGirt v. Oklahoma.
This week, in brief:
- FCC: 2.5 GHz Rural Tribal Window
- Standing Rock Sioux Tribe partners with Lakota People’s Law Project, Senator Udall, Representative Luján to forward Native American Voting Rights Act
- The U.S. shouldn't get to decide if a Navajo man dies
- StrongHearts Native Helpline: Mental health effects of historical trauma
- Norma Dunning: May my grandchildren never hear the E-word again
- Alaska Native entities take a stand against state oppression of Indigenous ways of life
- 'It’s not OK. It’s not OK': Native Hawaiian remains removed from luxury beachfront property
- What women's suffrage owes to Indigenous culture
- Data shows disproportionate impact of COVID-19 among Native Americans
- Cherokee Nation working to improve access to broadband
- Murder on the rez: A phenomenal thriller invents Native noir — and then transcends it