We have scoured the web. Here are some of the latest materials related to Indian Law. Find all of the latest updates at narf.org/nill/bulletins/
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
A petition for certiorari was filed in one case on 7/27/20:
Nobles v. North Carolina (Indian Status; Criminal Jurisdiction)
A petition for habeas corpus was filed in one case on 6/17/20:
In Re Scott Louis YoungBear (Civil Rights Violations)
Federal Courts Bulletin
- Oneida Nation v. Village of Hobart (Reservation Boundaries)
- Stephen C. v. Bureau of Indian Education (Indian Education)
- Landreth v. United States (Sovereign Immunity)
State Courts Bulletin
In the Matter of the Adoption of B.B. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Section 5, Indian trust land acquisitions, and secretarial authority.
- Navigating tribal opposition to permits for Great Lakes mining projects.
- Upholding tribal treaties with the Clean Water Act.
This week, in brief:
- House committees approve Gallego bills to end copays and improve care for Native veterans
- Trump's pick to manage public lands has four-decade history of "overt racism" toward Native people
- More than 1 thousand acres of Esselen ancestral land returned to tribe
- Yurok Tribal Court, Sovereign Bodies Institute release progress report on pivotal project
- Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine at Cherokee Nation celebrates first class of medical school students during white coat ceremony
- Unraveling the mystery of a stolen ceremonial shield
- Feds open South Dakota office for MMIW cases
- Turtle Mountain could be first North Dakota tribe to recognize same-sex marriage
- Nunavummiut have to stay home, but their art continues to travel
- $20 million gift to ABQ nonprofit will benefit thousands of Native American students
- In 1920, Native women sought the vote. Here's what's next.