We have scoured the web. Here are some of the latest materials related to Indian Law. Find all of the latest updates at narf.org/nill/bulletins/
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
One case was decided on 7/9/20:
McGirt v. Oklahoma (Criminal Jurisdiction)
Federal Courts Bulletin
Williams v. Medley Opportunity Fund II, LP (Tribal Sovereign Lending)
Crow Indian Tribe v. United States (Endangered Species Act; Yellowstone Grizzlies)
Dossett v. Ho-Chunk, Inc. (Sovereign Immunity)
Shopbell v. Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife (Treaty Rights)
Grondal v. Mill Bay Members Association, Inc. (Indian Allotment)
Poarch Band of Creek Indians v. Amneal Pharmaceuticals, LLC (Opioid Manufacturing)
U.S. Legislation - 116th Congress Bulletin
- H.R.7557 - To amend title VI of the Social Security Act to extend the coverage of Coronavirus Relief Fund payments to Tribal Governments.
- H.R.7565 - To authorize the Seminole Tribe of Florida to lease or transfer certain land, and for other purposes.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Chipping away at the public trust doctrine: Mauna Kea and the degradation principle.
- When the Navajo Generating Station closes, where does the water go?
- An odd way to read a preemption statute: The Atomic Energy Act, Virginia Uranium, and the Diné Natural Resource Protection Act.
- Redefining tribal sovereignty for the era of fundamental rights.
- "You're in apple land but you are a lemon": Connection, collaboration, and division in early '70s Indian Country.
- Herrera v. Wyoming: The Supreme Court's most recent attempt to balance tribal rights, state power, and conservation efforts.
This week, in brief:
- Court blocks Montana law that restricts voting rights of Native Americans
- The McGirt case is a historic win for tribes
- Q&A: What does McGirt ruling mean?
- How the 'only family' argument is used against Indigenous families
- Black Lives Matter for Freedman Descendants of the Five Civilized Tribes
- Pandemic complicates tribes' quest for data sovereignty
- Indigenous groups launch first national $1 million direct cash program for Native Americans during COVID-19 pandemic
- State Supreme Court vacates racist 1916 ruling in Yakama fishing rights case
- Ninth Circuit rules to restore protections for Yellowstone grizzlies