The Native American Rights Fund Boulder office is hiring for the open position of law librarian. The Native American Rights Fund Anchorage office is hiring for the open position of Alaska Fellow. Learn more about the vacancies at: https://www.narf.org/contact-us/join-team/
Federal Courts Bulletin
- Navajo Nation v. Regan (Clean Water Act; Navigable Waters Protection Rule)
State Courts Bulletin
- In the Matter of D.J. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
U.S. Legislation - 117th Congress Bulletin
- One proposed bill was signed into law this week, on 9/24/21:
- Public Law 117-41 - A bill to amend the Alyce Spotted Bear and Walter Soboleff Commission on Native Children Act to extend the deadline for a report by the Alyce Spotted Bear and Walter Soboleff Commission on Native Children, and for other purposes.
- Two bills were introduced in the Senate this week:
- S.2867 - A bill to clarify the rights of Indians and Indian Tribes on Indian lands under the National Labor Relations Act.
- S.2874 - A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to exclude from gross income payments under the Indian Health Service Loan Repayment Program and certain amounts received under the Indian Health Professions Scholarships Program.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Alaska Native Corporation endowment models.
- Alaska's tribal trust lands: A forgotten history.
- Selective justice: A crisis of missing and murdered Alaska Native women.
This week, in brief:
- The Cherokee Nation has agreed to a $75M settlement with opioid distributors
- 'The first step is to understand what's there' -- Albuquerque mayor announces search for missing Indigenous children's remains
- BIA announces tribal climate resilience grants totaling $13.84 million awarded for FY 2021
- Following the coronavirus relief funds in Alaska
- The only Native American 'In America': Korina Emmerich is the only Indigenous designer included in the Met's new exhibition on American fashion
- Leading the way in vaccinations, Grand Traverse Band still aims higher
- Tribe wins major step toward resuming whaling off Washington
- Marilyn Vann becomes the first Freedman in Cherokee Nation government
- Muscogee Nation voters pass press protections
- Exploring the Afro-Indigenous experience