The Native American Rights Fund Boulder office is hiring for the open position of law librarian. Learn more about the vacancy at: https://www.narf.org/contact-us/join-team/
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
- Additional petitions for certiorari challenging McGirt v. Oklahoma have been filed.
- Four petitions for certiorari were filed on 9/3/21:
- Haaland v. Brackeen (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- Cherokee Nation v. Brackeen (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- Texas v. Haaland (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- Brackeen v. Haaland (Indian Child Welfare Act)
Federal Courts Bulletin
- Chase v. Andeavor Logistics, L.P. (Indian Country Trespass; Pipeline Development)
- Holguin v. Ysleta del Sur Pueblo (Tribal Sovereign Immunity; Law Enforcement Jurisdiction; Tribal Exhaustion Doctrine)
State Courts Bulletin
- Interest of K.B. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- Matter of D.A. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
U.S. Legislation - 117th Congress Bulletin
- S.2728 - A bill to amend title VI of the Social Security Act to extend the coverage of Coronavirus Relief Fund payments to Tribal Governments.
- H.R.5221 - Urban Indian Health Confer Act
- H.R.5234 - To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide for elective payments to Indian tribal governments for energy property and electricity produced from certain renewable resources.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- The tribal right to exclude others from Indian-owned lands.
- Impact of the coronavirus and federal responses on Indigenous peoples' health, security, and sovereignty.
- State v. Nobles: Chance to settle needless jurisdictional turbulence.
- The Supreme Court of Washington's broad interpretation of the "reason to know" standard in In Re Dependency of Z.J.G. and why a uniform, broad interpretation of the standard will lead to better outcomes.
This week, in brief:
- 6 things you should know about the 2021 Native American Voting Rights Act
- Cherokee Nation passes historic nearly $3 billion budget
- Chair Grijalva introduces the Urban Indian Health Confer Act to create parity for American Indians and Alaska Natives living in urban areas
- In 'This Land,' a custody tribal over Native children heads to the Supreme Court
- Southeast Alaska Indigenous Transboundary Commission receives Bureau of Indian Affairs tribal climate resilience funding
- Hundreds march in Pierre, demanding resignation of numerous South Dakota public officials for Indigenous erasure
- Native American women lose nearly $1 million to the pay gap over their careers--and COVID-19 could make the disparity worse
- Stronghearts Native Helpline releases one year sexual violence advocacy report
- 'We gave them a lot of authority to guide us': How the Native tribes of Oklahoma are helping shape the new First Americans Museum