Federal Courts Bulletin
- United States v. Peneaux (Domestic Abuse; Effect of Tribal Court Conviction)
Tribal Courts Bulletin
- Kelek v. Cherokee Nation Entertainment, LLC (Mental Distress; Summary Judgment)
- In the Matter of K.E.L. (Right to Obtain Legal Counsel)
- In the Matter of L.F.H. (Custody Order; Abuse of Discretion or Misapplication of the Law)
- Fort Peck Tribes v. Ahneman (Dismissal With Prejudice; Right to Speedy Trial)
State Courts Bulletin
- In re E.W. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
U.S. Legislation - 118th Congress Bulletin
- S.1492 - A bill to provide for the settlement of claims relating to the Shab-eh-nay Band Reservation in Illinois, and for other purposes.
- H.R.3097 - To amend the Bridgeport Indian Colony Land Trust, Health, and Economic Development Act of 2012 to remove the restriction on class II gaming on certain land in California.
- S.Res.194 - A resolution designating May 5, 2023, as the "National Day of Awareness for Missing and Murdered Native Women and Girls".
U.S. Regulatory Bulletin
- Missing or Murdered Indigenous Persons Awareness Day, 2023 (Presidential Proclamation)
- Alaska Native Claims Selection (Interior)
- Federal Baseline Water Quality Standards for Indian Reservations (EPA)
- Section 184 Indian Housing Loan Guarantee Program; Reduction to the Upfront and Annual Loan Guarantee Fees (HUD)
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Abrogating tribal sovereign immunity via the bankruptcy code.
- Case law on American Indians.
- Dual taxation - unbalanced and arbitrary.
- Lost in translation: Absence of domestic implementation of international norms for the Indigenous Peoples of the United States.
- Native American intellectual property protection: Altering federal IP law and the Indian Arts and Crafts Act to aid tribal economic development.
- Oil, indifference, and displacement: An Indigenous community submerged and tribal relocation in the 21st century.
- "The past got broken off": Classifying "Indian" in the Indian Child Welfare Act.
- Searching for Indigenous truth: Exploring a restorative justice approach to redress abuse at the American Indian boarding schools.
- Toward a tribal role in groundwater management.
This week, in brief:
- 50 year fight for Native education leads to lawsuit against Montana Office of Public Instruction
- Riverbank erosion prompts Wisconsin band to ask for emergency shutdown of Line 5
- Odawa tribe in West Michigan continues fight for federal recognition
- California tribe teams up with state, federal agencies to protect endangered salmon
- Proposal would allow American Indian students in NC to wear feathers at graduation
- Biden declares May 5 'Missing or Murdered Indigenous Persons Awareness Day,' but challenges remain
- Tribal advocates secure settlement for local elections in North Dakota county
- The EPA extends federal protection to tribal waters