Federal Courts Bulletin
- United States v. Milk (Federal Criminal Jurisdiction; Major Crimes Act)
- Upper Skagit Indian Tribe v. Sauk-Suiattle Indian Tribe (Treaty Fishing Rights)
- Tule Lake Committee v. Federal Aviation Administration, et al. (Dismissal for Lack of Jurisdiction; Transfer of Property)
- King v. Calderin, et al. (Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act; Injunctive Relief)
- HCI Distribution, Inc. and Rock River Manufacturing, Inc. v. Hilgers, et al. (Tobacco Product Regulations; Indian Taxation)
- Old Bull v. United States (Tribal Sovereign Immunity; Tribal Officials)
Tribal Courts Bulletin
- Fort Peck Tribes v. Lopez (Probable Cause)
- In the Matter of A.G. (Guardianship; Due Process)
State Courts Bulletin
- In the Matter of: N.D.M. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Mission Indians of Santa Ynez Reservation California v. Lexington Insurance Company (Contract of Property Insurance; COVID-19 Damages)
U.S. Legislation - 118th Congress Bulletin
- S.1308 - A bill to amend the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act to extend the deadline for the Secretary of the Interior to promulgate regulations implementing title IV of that Act, and for other purposes.
- S.1322 - A bill to amend the Act of August 9, 1955, to modify the authorized purposes and term period of tribal leases, and for other purposes.
- S.1328 - A bill to clarify the rights of Indians and Indian Tribes on Indian lands under the National Labor Relations Act.
- H.R.2873 - To ensure all federally recognized Tribes that are eligible for gaming in the United States are regulated under the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act, and for other purposes.
- H.Res.353 - Expressing support for the designation of May 5, 2023, as the "National Day of Awareness for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls".
U.S. Regulatory Bulletin
- Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, 2023 (Presidential Proclamation)
- Final Priorities, Requirements, and Definitions-State-Tribal Education Partnership Program (Education)
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- The effectiveness of an ICWA Court at achieving improved ICWA implementation and outcomes: A pre-post intervention study.
- Exploring Indian Child Welfare Act implementation and case outcomes.
- The Gladue approach: Addressing Indigenous overincarceration through sentencing reform.
- A human rights approach to cultural property: Repatriating the Yaqui Maaso Kova.
- The Indian Child Welfare Act during the Brackeen years.
- Integrating traditional ecological knowledge into US public land management: Knowledge gaps and research priorities.
- Johnson v. M’Intosh and the missing cover of the jigsaw puzzle.
- Laboratories of the future: Tribes and rights of nature.
- Looking for a system with its head and heart in balance: Using institutional analysis to assess Indian Child Welfare Act implementation in Saint Louis County, Minnesota.
- The power of tribal courts in ongoing environmental-tort litigation.
- Restoring Indian reservation status: An empirical analysis.
- The sacred and the profaned: Protection of Native American sacred places that have been desecrated.
- Uncircle the wagons: Reconciling Wyoming's regulatory tradition with the Eastern Shoshone's treaty-based off-reservation hunting rights.
- Water rights of public domain allotments.
This week, in brief:
- New podcast sheds light on abuses at Native American boarding schools: 'Justice needs to be served'
- Bill would enforce constitutional mandate to teach students about Native American cultures
- Kivalina fights climate disasters amid Arctic Sea ice loss and storms
- Who gets a say in tribal treaty hunting?
- Oklahoma governor vetoes tribal regalia bill
- How changing the United Nations will help Indigenous peoples and the world
- Oklahoma Supreme Court's opinion challenging parts of the Indian Child Welfare Act is flawed, experts say
- U.S. Department of Justice issues new guidelines for missing and murdered Indigenous people cases