The Native American Rights Fund Boulder office is hiring. Learn more about the vacancies at https://www.narf.org/contact-us/join-team/
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Two petitions for certiorari were denied on 6/28/21:
- Phillips, et al. v. Oneida Indian Nation (Jurisdiction; Indian Taxation)
- Pierson v. Hudson Insurance Company (Insurance; Tort Law)
- Yellen v. Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis Reservation (CARES Act; Alaska Native Corporations)
Federal Courts Bulletin
- Deschutes River Alliance v. Portland General Electric Company (Tribal Sovereign Immunity; Clean Water Act)
- Butler v. Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe (Tribal Sovereign Immunity; Wrongful Termination)
- Lundy v. Balaam (ICRA Habeas Petition)
State Courts Bulletin
- In the Matter of the Dependency of G.J.A. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- In re A.C. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
U.S. Legislation - 117th Congress Bulletin
- S.2226 - A bill to amend the Indian Health Care Improvement Act to authorize a special behavioral health program for Indians, and for other purposes.
- S.2264 - A bill to reauthorize the Native American Housing Assistance and Self-Determination Act of 1996.
- H.R.4093 - To amend title 23, United States Code, to modify the distribution of funds under the tribal transportation program, and for other purposes.
- H.R.4228 - To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act with respect to members of a federally recognized Indian Tribe in the United States or Canada.
- H.R.4251 - To amend the Indian Health Care Improvement Act to authorize a special behavioral health program for Indians, and for other purposes.
- H.R.4283 - To amend the Public Health Service Act to improve the public health system in tribal communities and increase the number of American Indians and Alaska Natives pursuing health careers, and for other purposes.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Reclaiming the past for Mauna A Wākea's future: The battle over collective memory and Hawai'i's most sacred mountain.
- Unenforced promises: Treaty rights as a mechanism to address the impact of energy projects near tribal lands.
- An Oklahoma tribal employer's guide to conducting business in the Tenth Circuit.
- Bridges to a new era: A report on the past, present, and potential future of tribal co-management on federal public lands.
- The past may be prologue, but it does not dictate our future: This is the Muscogee (Creek) Nation's table.
This week, in brief:
- Supreme Court has decided Alaska Native Corporations qualify for CARES Act funding
- Cherokee Nation becomes first tribe to self-govern tribal transportation
- Training the next generation of Indigenous data scientists
- Sex trafficking sting nets 2 more Enbridge workers
- Colorado public universities will give Native American students in-state tuition
- Statement from Indigenous linguists and language scholars on boarding and residential Schools
- Tribal oil boom versus Joe Biden's climate push
- Little Shell Tribe announces program to provide healthy food for tribal members
- Native Hawaiian health care systems, Papa Ola Lōkahi set to receive $18 million
- An apology to federal employees and tribal nations
- Not one without the other: Reparations for African-Americans and Indigenous peoples