U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
A petition for certiorari was filed in one case on 4/21/21:
- Jamul Action Committee, et al. v. Simermeyer, et al. (Tribal Sovereign Immunity)
- Eglise Baptiste Bethanie De Ft. Lauderdale, et al. v. Seminole Tribe of Florida, et al. (Tribal Sovereign Immunity; Religious Rights)
Federal Courts Bulletin
- Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians v. Whitmer (Treaty Rights; Reservation Diminishment)
- Grondal v. United States (Tribal Sovereign Immunity; Indian Leasing)
- Loonsfoot v. Brogan (Tribal Exhaustion; Habeas Petition)
- Shoshone-Bannock Tribes of the Fort Hall Reservation v. United States (Fee-to-Trust; IGRA)
- Chicharello v. U.S. Department of the Interior (Education)
State Courts Bulletin
- Stand Up For California! v. State of California (Indian Gaming)
- Monice C. v. Department of Child Safety, Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community (Indian Child Welfare Act)
U.S. Legislation - 117th Congress Bulletin
- H.Res.411 - Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives to recognize the crisis of violence against Native women.
- H.R.3158 - To repeal certain obsolete laws relating to Indians.
- H.R.3231 - To provide for the recognition of certain Alaska Native communities and the settlement of certain claims under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, and for other purposes.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Toward tribal regulatory sovereignty in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Contract law--forced arbitration--third circuit rules that tribal payday lenders cannot compel arbitration. Williams v. Medley Opportunity Fund II, LP.
- Tribally defined citizenship criteria: Countering whiteness as property interpretations of "Indian" for restoring inherent sovereignty.
This week, in brief:
- Indian Country cheers nomination of Muscogee Nation citizen to federal bench
- Secretary Haaland approves new constitution for Cherokee Nation, guaranteeing full citizenship rights for Cherokee Freedmen
- Montana tribes file lawsuit challenging new voting laws
- Vaccinating Native youth
- Reckoning over racism prompts University of Miami to address a gap: 'We have no Indigenous perspectives on our campus'
- Private museums could face NAGPRA scrutiny
- History comes full circle as historic medal is returned to the Seneca Nation Monday
- Native students finally win the right to wear tribal regalia at graduation ceremonies
- Lithium mining proposal in Northern Nevada threatens Paiute and Shoshone land
- Enbridge's Line 3 is putting wild rice at risk--and Indigenous water protectors are taking a stand