Federal Courts Bulletin
- Swinomish Indian Tribal Community v. Becerra (Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act; IHS)
- Jackson v. Shoshone-Bannock Tribal Justice Center (Sovereign Immunity)
- Hartsell v. Schaaf (Tribal Police; Jurisdiction)
- Lac Courte Oreilles Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians v. Evers (Indian Taxation; Treaty Rights)
State Courts Bulletin
- Harris v. Arkansas Department of Human Services (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- Matter of Welfare of Children of J.C.L. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
Tribal Courts Bulletin
- Mashantucket Pequot Gaming Enterprise v. Torres (Waiver of Sovereign Immunity; Employee Termination)
U.S. Legislation - 117th Congress Bulletin
- H.R.2402 - To transfer administrative jurisdiction of certain Federal lands from the Army Corps of Engineers to the Bureau of Indian Affairs, to take such lands into trust for the Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska, and for other purposes.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- An 'unfulfilled, hollow promise': Lyng, Navajo Nation, and the substantial burden on Native American religious practice.
- Working together: Building and sustaining a multijurisdictional response to missing or murdered Indigenous children and adolescents.
- Victim services for Native families with missing loved ones.
- Criminal jurisdiction in Indian Country.
- Violent crime in Indian Country and the federal response.
- American Indian and Alaska Native knowledge and public health for the primary prevention of missing or murdered Indigenous persons.
- Trauma-informed, culturally relevant psychological responses in cases of missing or murdered Indigenous peoples.
This week, in brief:
- Brackeen decision tree
- University of South Dakota: ICWA Educational Zoom Confererence
- Webinar: Toward a more perfect union: Ecnomic and Educational Opportunity for Native Americans
- Webinar: 2021 Indigenous Nations & Climate Change Summit
- University of Idaho College of Law: Tribal Homelands Scholarship
- Tribal nations adapt to being at ‘ground zero’ of the climate crisis
- Native American students share their experience combatting Indigenous erasure
- Blood quantum and the white gatekeeping of Native American identity
- Despite promises to listen to tribes and fight climate change, Biden administration allows oil to continue flowing through Dakota Access Pipeline
- The Warm Springs reservation water crisis is reminiscent of Flint, Michigan