U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Petition for certiorari was filed on 5/26/16 in Flute v. U.S. (Fiduciary Duty) and six petitions for certiorari were denied on 6/27/16:
1) California v. Pauma Band of Luiseno Mission Indians of the Pauma & Yuima Reservation (Gaming - Limited Waiver);
2) Pauma Band of Mission Indians v. California (Indian Gaming Regulatory Act - Bad Faith Negotiations),
3) Little River Band of Ottawa Indians Tribal Government v. NLRB (National Labor Relations Act);
4) Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort v. NLRB (National Labor Relations Act);
5) Shinnecock Indian Nation v. New York (Laches - Monetary Damages);
6) Jensen v, EXC., Inc. (Tribal Jurisdiction)
U.S. Courts of Appeals Bulletin
Aguayo v. Jewell (Tribal Membership Dispute)
United States v. Drapeau (Expert Testimony - Prior Court Convictions)
Akiachak Native Community v. United States Department of Interior (Land into Trust; Alaska Tribes)
United States v. Washington (Treaty Right to Fish - Culvert Impacts)
U.S. Federal Trial Courts Bulletin
Wyoming, et al v. U.S. Department of Interior, et al (Hydraulic Fracturing on Federal and Indian Lands)
Everette v. Mitchem (Tribal Sovereign Immunity - Tribal Lending Companies)
State Courts Bulletin
In re Jones/Lehmann (Michigan Indian Family Preservation Act, Indian Child Welfare Act)
We feature over 30 articles this week. One article in the Sovereign Immunity section deals with federal safety laws and tribes.
U.S. Legislation Bulletin
These two bills became law:
H.R.812: Indian Trust Asset Reform Act.
S.2212: To take certain Federal lands located in Lassen County, California, into trust for the benefit of the Susanville Indian Rancheria, and for other purposes.
These bills and resolutions were added:
S.Res.514: A resolution designating May 5, 2017, as the "National Day of Awareness for Missing and Murdered Native Women and Girls."
S.3127: Safeguard Tribal Objects of Patrimony (STOP) Act.
H.Con.Res.122: PROTECT Patrimony Resolution.
H.R.5633: To authorize and implement the water rights compact among the Blackfeet Tribe of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, the State of Montana, and the United States, and for other purposes.
H.R.5700: To support the education of Indian children.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin
This article was added:
Property, sovereignty, and governable spaces.
U.S. Regulatory Bulletin
We feature a civil penalty inflation adjustment rule of the National Indian Gaming Commission.