Federal Courts Bulletin
- State of Alaska, Department of Fish and Game v. Federal Subsistence Board and Organized Village of Kake (Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act; Hunting Rights)
- Walen and Henderson v. Burgum, et al. (Equal Protection Clause; Unlawful Racial Gerrymanders)
- Historical Eastern Pequot Tribe v. Office of Federal Acknowledgment (Unreasonable-Delay Challenge; Federal Recognition)
- In re: Eagle Bear Inc. (Tribal Taxation)
- Merit Energy Operations I, LLC v. Eastern Shoshone and Northern Arapaho Tribes (Arbitration Award; Oil and Gas Lease)
Tribal Courts Bulletin
- Fort Peck Tribes v. Gourneau (Appellate Court Authority)
U.S. Legislation - 118th Congress Bulletin
- S.3185 - Tribal Cultural Areas Protection Act / A bill to establish the Tribal Cultural Areas System, and for other purposes.
- S.3186 - Advancing Tribal Parity on Public Land Act / A bill to protect Native cultural sites located on Federal land, to improve consultation with Indian Tribes, to bring parity to Indian Tribes with regard to Federal public land management laws, and for other purposes.
- S.3230 - A bill to transfer administrative jurisdiction of certain Federal lands from the Army Corps of Engineers to the Bureau of Indian Affairs, to take such lands into trust for the Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska, and for other purposes.
- S.3241 - A bill to establish the Grand Village of the Natchez Indians and Jefferson College as affiliated areas of the Natchez Historical Park, and for other purposes.
- H.R.6147 - To establish the Tribal Cultural Areas System, and for other purposes.
- H.R.6148 - To protect Native cultural sites located on Federal land, to improve consultation with Indian Tribes, to bring parity to Indian Tribes with regard to Federal public land management laws, and for other purposes.
- H.R.6180 - To reaffirm the applicability of the Indian Reorganization Act to the Poarch Band of Creek Indians, and for other purposes.
U.S. Regulatory Bulletin
- National Native American Heritage Month, 2023 (Office of the President)
- Notice of Availability of Consultation Documents for Public Comment Under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (Transportation)
- Magnuson-Stevens Act Provisions; Fisheries Off West Coast States; Pacific Coast Groundfish Fishery; 2023 Tribal Fishery Allocations for Pacific Whiting; Reapportionment Between Tribal and Non-Tribal Sectors (Commerce)
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Reviving Indian Country : Expanding Alaska Native Villages' tribal land bases through fee-to-trust acquisitions.
- “Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped away”: Utilizing data to develop strategies to reduce the number of Native Americans who go missing.
This week, in brief:
- Survivors say trauma from abusive Native American boarding schools stretches across generations
- Abandoned in Osage: A century after the events of "Killers of the Flower Moon," abandoned oil wells litter the Osage Nation
- Penobscot Nation to reclaim ancestral land in north central Maine
- Tribal self-governance at center of dispute over federal health care costs
- A decade of healing and action: Commission issues urgent recommendations to feds for combating MMIP crisis