U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
- One petition for certiorari was denied this week on 5/6/22:
- Albrecht v. Riverside County (Indian Reorganization Act; Taxation; Land Leases)
Federal Courts Bulletin
- Stanko v. Oglala Sioux Tribe (Tribal Police; Law Enforcement Jurisdiction)
- Yurok Tribe v. US Bureau of Reclamation (Sovereign Immunity; Administrative Procedure Act)
- Nygaard v. Taylor (Tribal Courts; Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act)
- Weiss v. Perez (Cultural Resources; Native American Graves Protection Act)
State Courts Bulletin
- Matter of Welfare of Children A.J.J. ( Indian Child Welfare Act; Minnesota Indian Family Preservation Act)
- In re M. Henry (Indian Child Welfare Act; Michigan Indian Family Preservation Act)
U.S. Legislation - 117th Congress Bulletin
- S.4196 - A bill to amend the Ysleta del Sur Pueblo and Alabama and Coushatta Indian Tribes of Texas Restoration Act to restore an opportunity for Tribal economic development on terms that are equal and fair, and for other purposes.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Where the NHPA and NEPA meet: Failures of the nexus of EIS and Section 106 analyses.
- The law and economics of crime in Indian Country.
- Supporting Native American communities during the coronavirus pandemic: Checkpoints, tribal sovereignty, and the implications of McGirt v. Oklahoma.
- Storytelling and truth-telling: Personal reflections on the Native American experience in law schools.
- Celebrating the restoration of the national bison range to its rightful, tribal owners.
- Ninth circuit muddies the waters of tribal sovereign immunity and the Clean Water Act in Deschutes River Alliance v. Portland GE.
This week, in brief:
- The never-ending maze: Continued failure to protect Indigenous women from sexual violence in the USA
- Pueblos again seek inclusion in Rio Grande decision-making
- Supreme Court turns down Indian Country taxation case as high-profile session continues
- Census undercount threatens federal food, health programs on reservations
- 9th Circuit upholds 'landmark' ruling blocking Rosemont copper mine
- The Navajo Nation’s first economist takes a fresh view on development
- Native reproductive justice: Practices and policies from relinquishment to family preservation
- Alaska Senate passes tribal recognition bill
- ‘Metrics of economic well-being’ show Native Americans underserved
- Data genocide, maternal mortality, and a return to tradition
- North Carolina has never elected an Indigenous person to Congress
- Huy urges United Nations to protect U.S. Indigenous prisoner religious freedoms
- Chief Hoskin, Deputy Chief Warner announce $500 monthly transition stipend for Cherokee youth ‘aging out’ of foster system
- Eight finalists for the 2022 Indigenous Screenwriters List announced