We have scoured the web. Here are some of the latest materials related to Indian Law. Find all of the latest updates at narf.org/nill/bulletins/index.html
Congratulations to our long-time client, the Little Shell Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Montana who, after more than a hundred years of battling the federal government for recognition, were finally legislatively recognized by Congress.
Federal Courts Bulletin
United States v. Harrington (Sentence Enhancement)
Allen v. United States (Federal Recognition)
State Courts Bulletin
Walter v. Oregon Board of Education, and, The Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians of Oregon (Cultural Resources, Indian Mascots)
Tribal Courts Bulletin
Levy v. Mashantucket Pequot Education Committee (Tribal Benefits)
U.S. Legislation - 116th Congress Bulletin
- S.3126 - A bill to amend the Public Health Service Act to authorize a special behavioral health program for Indians.
- S.3113 - A bill to provide for the settlement of the water rights claims of the Fort Belknap Indian Community, and for other purposes.
- H.R.5502 - Removing Federal Barriers to Offering of Mobile Sports Wagers on Indian Lands Act
- H.R.5510 - To amend the Help America Vote Act of 2002 to explicitly authorize distribution of grant funds to the voting accessibility protection and advocacy system of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands and the system serving the American Indian consortium, and for other purposes.
- Fighting on behalf of the Salish Sea.
- "Enough's Enough": Protest law and the tradition of chilling Indigenous free speech.
- The flourishing race: How the success of American Indian artist-entrepreneurs underscores the need for enhanced legal protections for Native intellectual property.
- In the aftermath of rampage shootings: Is healing possible? Hard lessons from the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians and other Indigenous peoples.
This week, in brief:
- With execution on hold, Navajo inmate presses court on jury bias claim
- Native American leaders determined to avoid repeat of last census undercount
- Flandreau Santee Sioux tribe's hemp plan approved
- NTU starts Navajo language translation program in preparation for 2020 elections
- Montana federal judge refuses to dismiss Keystone XL Pipeline lawsuits
- Uranium mine near Grand Canyon 'is an intrusion' and a 'risk to the groundwater'
- Two spirit couple seeks LGBTQ equality for South Dakota tribes
- Honoring Native traditions behind bars
- Rx for ailing Indian Health Service: Changes in spending, recruitment