U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Petition for certiorari was denied in this case on 12/9/19:
California Trout v. Hoopa Valley Tribe (Clean Water Act)
Federal Courts Bulletin
Swiger v. Rosette (Sovereign Immunity)
State Courts Bulletin
Matter of Delaney (Attorney Discipline)
U.S. Legislation - 116th Congress Bulletin
- H.R.5280 - To establish the Native American Outreach Program of the Small Business Administration, and for other purposes.
- H.R.5319 - To reauthorize the Native American Housing Assistance and Self-Determination Act of 1996, and for other purposes.
- H.R.5323 - To amend the Older Americans Act of 1965 to expand supportive services for Native American aging programs, and for other purposes.
- H.Res.748 - Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 729) to amend the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972 to authorize grants to Indian Tribes to further achievement of Tribal coastal zone objectives, and for other purposes.
- The Katie John litigation: A continuing search for Alaska Native fishing rights after ANCSA.
- Fluid standing: Incorporating the Indigenous Rights of Nature concept into collaborative management of the Colorado River ecosystem.
- Still melting: How climate change and subsistence laws constrain Alaska Native Village adaptation.
- Tribal sovereign immunity overcomes bankruptcy code abrogation.
This week, in brief:
- Navajo Nation and University of Arizona sign Memorandum of Agreement to create the Navajo Law Fellowship Program
- Inslee appoints Raquel Montoya-Lewis as first Native American to sit on Washington Supreme Court
- Senate bill could roll back tribal authority in domestic violence cases
- New Mexico delegation praises passage of legislation to safeguard Native languages
- Water-rights measure to include $1.9 billion for Montana tribes
- Federal recognition likely as Little Shell Chippewa Tribe bill moves forward
- Congress considers Lumbee recognition bill
- $100 million solar project slated for South Dakota reservation moves ahead
- Indigenous women and the power of Indigenous architecture at Yale