U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Petition for certiorari was filed in Mandan v. Perdue (Separation of Powers; Judgment Funds) on 12/19/17.
U.S. Federal Courts Bulletin
Yurok Tribe v. Resighnini Rancheria (Tribal Sovereign Immunity; Fishing Rights)
Ute Indian Tribe of the Uintah and Ouray Reservation v. Lawrence (Jurisdiction - Contracts)
State Courts Bulletin
In re R.H. v. A.N. (Indian Child Welfare Act - Tribal Intervention)
In Interest of J.L. and S.M. (Indian Child Welfare Act - Notice)
In Matter of IW, MM, Jr., and NK (Indian Child Welfare Act - Termination of Parental Rights)
In the Recognition & Enrollment section, we feature articles about tribes in Virginia obtaining federal recognition from Congress.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin
- Assessing political economy in Native American Nations.
- A legal practitioner's guide to Indian and tribal law research.
- Why the Religious Freedom Restoration Act cannot protect sacred sites.
- Money is for nothing: The inherent want of consideration found in substantial exclusivity terms within tribal-state compacts.
- A Silent epidemic: Revisiting the 2013 reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act to better protect American Indian Native Women.
- Complex adaptive peacemaking: How systems theory reveals advantages of traditional tribal dispute resolution.
- Interstate water litigation in the West: A fifty-year retrospective.
- Thirty-Fifth Annual American Bar Association Water Law Conference: The future of Indian water right settlements in an age of uncertainty.
- Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians v. Coachella Valley Water Dist., 849 F.3D 1262 (9th Cir. 2017).
- Environmental justice and tribal sovereignty: Lessons from Standing Rock.
U.S. Legislation Bulletin
This bill became law:
H.R.984: Thomasina E. Jordan Indian Tribes of Virginia Federal Recognition Act of 2017.
U.S. Regulatory Bulletin
We feature a notice of the Department of the Interior of an update to the list of Indian entities recognized and eligible to recieve services from the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs as of January 11, 2018.