U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Two cases were decided on 6/15/2023:
- Haaland v. Brackeen (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians v. Brian W. Coughlin (Tribal sovereign immunity from suit under the Bankruptcy Code)
Federal Courts Bulletin
- Unkechaug Indian Nation v. New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (Treaty Fishing Rights)
- Bad River Band of Lake Superior Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Bad River Reservation v. Enbridge Energy Company, Inc. (Public Nuisance; Trespass on Indian Lands)
- Friends of Alaska National Wildlife Refuges v. Haaland (Land Exchange Agreement; Mootness)
- Buena Vista Rancheria of Me-Wuk Indians v. Pacific Coast Building Products, Inc. (Nuisance; Trespass; Ripeness)
- Wilson v. Oglala Sioux Tribe Election Commission (Tribal Sovereign Immunity)
- Bowman v. Pathfinder Solutions, LLC (Improper Removal; Fee Land; Cayuga Nation Police Department)
- Mound v. United States (Federal Tort Claims Act; Sovereign Immunity)
- United States v. Sampson (Sentencing Disparity)
- United States v. Archer (Conspiracy; Securities Fraud)
Tribal Courts Bulletin
- Palmer v. Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority (Negligence)
- Rude v. Orr (Modification of Parenting Plan)
- Shramek v. Mashantucket Pequot Gaming Enterprise (Dangerous Condition)
- Nambu v. Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation (Dram Shop Law)
State Courts Bulletin
- In re H.B. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- In re Cal. E. (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- In the Matter of S. H. P., aka S. T., aka S. T., a Child (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- State ex rel. Delaware Tribe of Indians v. Nowicki-Eldridge (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- Seminole Tribe of Florida v. Manzini (Tribal Sovereign Immunity)
- The Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida v. Lewis (Attorney's Fees)
U.S. Legislation - 118th Congress Bulletin
- S.1889 - A bill to provide for the recognition of certain Alaska Native communities and the settlement of certain claims under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, and for other purposes.
- S.1898 - A bill to amend the Northwestern New Mexico Rural Water Projects Act to make improvements to that Act, and for other purposes.
- S.1941 - A bill to permanently authorize the Native Community Development Financial Institutions lending program of the Department of Agriculture, and for other purposes.
- S.1987 - A bill to provide for the settlement of the water rights claims of the Fort Belknap Indian Community, and for other purposes.
- S.1998 - A bill to amend the Food Security Act of 1985 to include Indian Tribes in certain provisions relating to priority resource concerns.
- H.R.3976 - To amend the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972 to authorize grants to Indian Tribes to further achievement of Tribal coastal zone objectives, and for other purposes.
- H.R.4155 - To provide for rental assistance for homeless or at-risk Indian veterans, and for other purposes.
U.S. Regulatory Bulletin
- American Indian Probate Regulations; Corrections (Interior)
- Onshore Oil and Gas Operations; Federal and Indian Oil and Gas Leases; Codification of Onshore Orders 1, 2, 6, and 7 (Interior)
- Alaska Native Claims Selections (Interior)
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- The constitutionality of VAWA 2022’s Special Tribal Criminal Jurisdiction and the native origins of restorative justice in combatting gender-based violence.
- Legislative constitutionalism and federal Indian law.
- Modernizing the Columbia River Treaty: Two proposals to elevate the ecosystem and to include tribes.
- Tribes, nations, states: Our three commerce powers.
This week, in brief:
- Boarding school legislation passes Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Enbridge ordered to end operations on tribal lands in Wisconsin
- 2 more tribes make historic co-management agreements with Oregon
- Indigenous farmers hope their knowledge of regenerative practices can influence others
- Criticism, praise directed at Chaco 10-mile buffer order issued by interior secretary
- The economic impact of SCOTUS upholding the Indian Child Welfare Act
- The Supreme Court upheld ICWA. Now what?
- The Supreme Court leaves Indian Child Welfare Act intact
- SCOTUS issues 8-1 ruling to strip tribal sovereign immunity from bankruptcy code
- Lawsuit that claims Native American vote was diluted by North Dakota lawmakers given to judge
- Fort Belknap tribal water settlement bill sees first-time bipartisan support
- A look at the water agreements the government is making with Native American tribes