Federal Courts Bulletin
- Navajo Nation v. Office of Navajo and Hopi Indian Relocation, et al. (Navajo and Hopi Indian Land Settlement Act of 1974)
- United States v. Charging Crow (Restitution Payments; Tribal Annuity Payments)
- Eagle Bear, Inc. and Brooke v. The Blackfeet Indian Nation and The Blackfeet Tribal Court (Intervention)
- Rincon Mushroom Corp. v. Mazzetti, et al. (Tribal Jurisdiction; Amended Complaint)
- Esquivel v. Fresno County Department of Social Services (Indian Child Welfare Act)
- Galloway v. Martorello (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO); Tribal Sovereign Immunity)
- Bad River Band of Lake Superior Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Bad River Reservation v. Enbridge Energy Company, Inc. (Trust Relationship; Trespass on Indian Lands)
- The Cherokee Nation, et al. v. United States Department of the Interior, et al. (Indian Gaming Regulatory Act)
- NUMA Corporation v. Diven (Tribal Sovereign Immunity; Bankruptcy)
- Acres Bonusing, Inc., et al. v. Ramsey, et al. (Tribal Sovereign Immunity; Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO))
- San Carlos Apache Tribe v. Becerra (Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act (ISDEA); Healthcare)
- United States v. Peterson (Criminal; Fraudulent Conduct; Costanoan-Chualar Indian Tribe)
- Archambault v. United States (Exhaustion of Tribal Court Remedies; Tribal Police)
- Pakootas v. Teck Cominco Metals, Ltd. (Treaty Rights; Comprehensive Environmental Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA))
Tribal Courts Bulletin
- Zacherle v. Colville Confederated Tribes (Habeas Corpus)
- Sandau v. Fort Peck Tribes (Indian Civil Rights Act)
State Courts Bulletin
- Skeet v. New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department (Taxation)
- Mathieu v. Department of Children, Youth, and Families (Indian Child Welfare Act)
U.S. Legislation - 117th Congress Bulletin
- S.Res.845 - A resolution recognizing National Native American Heritage Month and celebrating the heritages and cultures of Native Americans and the contributions of Native Americans to the United States.
- S.7 - A bill to make a technical amendment to the Violence Against Women Act of 1994, and for other purposes.
- S.5124 / H.R.9344 - Chaco Cultural Heritage Area Protection Act of 2022.
- S.5132 - Pueblo Pintado Protection Act.
- S.5104 - NACIE Improvement Act.
- S.5113 - VAWA Technical Amendment Act of 2022.
- S.5140 - A bill to provide for rental assistance for homeless or at-risk Indian veterans, and for other purposes.
- S.5181 - A bill to direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to make certain improvements relating to mental health and suicide prevention outreach to minority veterans and American Indian and Alaska Native veterans, and for other purposes.
- S.5186 / H.R.9439 - A bill to ensure progress toward the fulfillment by the Federal Government of its trust and treaty obligations to Native Americans and Tribal governments, to ensure funding for programs for Native Americans and Tribal governments, and for other purposes.
- H.Res.1498 - Recognizing National Native American Heritage Month and celebrating the heritages and cultures of Native Americans and the contributions of Native Americans to the United States.
- H.R.9293 - To amend the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 to make a technical correction to the Navajo Nation Water Resources Development Trust Fund, and for other purposes.
- H.R.9294 - To amend the Claims Resolution Act to make a technical correction to the Taos Pueblo Water Development Fund and the Aamodt Settlement Pueblos' Fund, and for other purposes.
- H.R.9343 - Tribal Connect Act of 2022.
- H.R.9382 - Winnebago Land Transfer Act of 2022.
- H.R.9391 - Tribal Firearm Access Act.
U.S. Regulatory Bulletin
- Tribal Management Grant Program (Indian Health Service)
- Uniform Standards for Tribal Consultation (Executive Office of the President)
- Water Quality Standards Regulatory Revisions To Protect Tribal Reserved Rights (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Land Acquisitions (Bureau of Indian Affairs)
- HEARTH Act Approval of Pawnee Nation of Oklahoma Leasing Ordinance (Bureau of Indian Affairs)
- Appeals From Administrative Actions (Bureau of Indian Affairs)
- Land Acquisitions; Central Council of Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska, Alaska (Bureau of Indian Affairs)
- Tribal Intergovernmental Advisory Committee Membership (Department of Housing and Urban Development)
- Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Review Committee; Notice of Public Meeting (National Park Service)
- Federal Implementation Plans Under the Clean Air Act for Indian Reservations in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington; Correction (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Land Acquisitions; White Earth Band of the Minnesota Chippewa Tribe, Minnesota, Buschelle Site, Clearwater County, Minnesota (Bureau of Indian Affairs)
- Land Acquisitions; Tejon Tribe, Mettler Site, Kern County, California (Bureau of Indian Affairs)
- HEARTH Act Approval of Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan Leasing Ordinance (Bureau of Indian Affairs)
- Notice of Task Force on Research on Violence Against American Indian and Alaska Native Women Meeting (Department of Justice)
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin (contact us if you need help finding a copy of an article)
- Love, memory, and reparations : Looking to the bottom to understand Hawai‘i’s Mauna Kea movement.
- Mapping dual sovereignty and double jeopardy in Indian Country crimes.
- Consenting to criminal jurisdiction in tribal court.
- The battle to enfranchise Indigenous voters.
- The ascension of Indigenous cultural property law.
- Good fire : A Yurok Tribe response to climate change.
- New federal initiatives for Indian Country environmental management.
- The Extradition Clause and Indian Country.
- Oklahoma v. Castro-Huerta, competitive sovereign erosion, and fundamental freedom.
This week, in brief:
- ‘For all of Indian Country' Native woman judge makes history in Michigan
- Biden administration announces $135 million to relocate tribes affected by climate change
- The long history of Native American adoptions
- Utah lawmakers want to protect Native American adoptions — no matter how the Supreme Court rules
- 187 years ago, the Cherokee Nation was promised a delegate to the House. It’s still waiting
- Representatives Kilmer, Warren introduce historic legislation to address barriers to sovereignty
- Biden affirms commitment to tribal nations, announces new initiatives at White House Tribal Nations Summit
- Peyron testifies in front of Congress about Tule River Tribe's water crisis
- Klamath River dams: Regulators clear path for largest dam demolition in history
- Grand Ronde citizens vote to limit disenrollment
- Biden gets bill to stop illegal exportation of Native items
- Blackfeet Nation challenges Montana ban on vaccine mandates as infringement on sovereignty
- The Native American Rights Fund is hiring for the open position of Blaustein Fellow in the Boulder office. Learn more about the vacancy at: https://www.narf.org/contact-us/join-team/