A blog covering current events in federal and tribal American Indian Law.
July 31, 2012
NILL added new content to 7 Indian Law Bulletins on 7/31
* U.S. Courts of Appeals Bulletin
Somerlott v. Cheeroke Nation Distributors (age discrimination)
Rincon Mushroom Corporation of America v. Mazzetti (exhaustion of tribal remedies)
* U.S. Federal Trial Courts Bulletin
Oklahoma v. Hobia (restricted Indian allotment, casino construction)
In re Whitaker (bankruptcy)
Klamath Tribe Claims Committee v. U.S. (federal fiduciary duty)
Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida v. U.S. (tax records, sovereign immunity)
United Keetoowah Band of Cheeroke Indians in Oklahoma v. U.S. (federal fiduciary duty)
* State Courts Bulletin
Adoptive Couple v. Baby Girl (Indian Child Wefare Act, termination of parental rights)
In re KMO (Indian Child Wefare Act, termination of parental rights)
In re Christian P. (Indian Child Welfare Act, notice)
In re Avery G. (Wisconsin Indian Child Welfare Act, termination of parental rights)
Apache Tribe of Oklahoma v. Graves (ratified check)
* News Bulletin
In the "Environment & Energy" section we feature articles relating to the impact of climate change on salmon populations and Native American lands.
* Regulatory Bulletin
We feature 15 new items including a notice of the Department of Interior regarding a public webinar on Indian trust administration and reform.
* Law Review & Bar Journal Indian Law Bulletin http://www.narf.org/nill/bulletins/lawreviews/currentlr.htm
We feature an article that recommends enactment of a legislative solution to the protection of Native American sacred sites.
* U.S. Legislation Bulletin
One bill became Law: S. 292, Salmon Lake Land Selection Resolution Act.
Four new bills have been added:
1) S. 3373, A bill to require the Attorney General to issue a report on the Alaska Rural Justice and Law Enforcement Commission. 2) H.R. 5992, Samish Indian Nation Homelands Act of 2012. 3) H.R. 6141, To provide for the addition of certain real property to the reservation of the Siletz Tribe in the State of Oregon. 4) S. 3385, Authorized Rural Water Projects Completion Act